Life’s busier than ever for small business owners. Scammers hope you’re too busy to check what they’re saying so you’ll hand over your personal or financial information.
While the ATO is supporting you through the COVID-19 (coronavirus) environment, scammers are trying to steal your money or identity while you’re most vulnerable.
Look out for these tell-tale signs of tax scams if you get a suspicious call, message or request.
The ATO will never:
- send an email or SMS with a hyperlink to our online services such as myGov
- request personal identifying information via a return email unless you’ve agreed to engage with us this way
- threaten you with immediate arrest and insist you stay on the line until you make a payment
- prevent you from discussing your tax affairs with your registered tax professional
- request payment of a debt via iTunes, Google Play cards or other vouchers, cryptocurrency, cardless cash transfer, offshore wire transfer or into a bank account not held by the Reserve Bank of Australia
- ask you to pay a fee to receive a refund.
If you’re ever unsure about an ATO communication, do not reply. Phone the ATO scam hotline on 1800 008 540, visit ato.gov.au/scams, or speak to your agent or trusted adviser.
Get in touch
If you’d like to find out more about any of the above opportunities, then please get in touch.
We’d be more than happy to run through your financial situation with you to ensure you’re making the most of your superannuation accounts.
If this article interested you and you would like to speak to Pat Casey on the phone, select a time to speak Pat – Financial Planner Sydney.
At Assure Wealth we specialise in helping busy, successful families structure their finances to achieve greater wealth and financial peace of mind.
Disclaimer: The information provided on this website has been provided as general advice only. We have not considered your financial circumstances, needs or objectives and you should seek the assistance of your Walker Lane Pty Ltd Adviser before you make any decision regarding any products mentioned in this communication. Whilst all care has been taken in the preparation of this material, no warranty is given in respect of the information provided and accordingly neither Walker Lane nor its related entities, employees or agents shall be liable on any ground whatsoever with respect to decisions or actions taken as a result of you acting upon such information.
Assure Wealth Pty Ltd ABN 31 965 466 780 Corporate Authorised Representative no. 1244817, Patrick Casey Sub-Authorised Representative no. 1244748 of Walker Lane Pty Ltd ABN 70 626 199 826, an AFSL holder No 509305.